Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Goals for the New Year? How About Your Legacy?

I’ve spent some time with my grandmother this week as she lies dying in hospital.  

My grandmother doesn’t react to many of the things that I say to her but she appears to enjoy hearing me read from Scripture. 

As she rests, I take out my journal and think about her life.  She brought 12 children into the world.  She lived in a small rural town that has seen it’s boom and bust cycle now settle into the steady decline so unfortunately common in remote, rural places.  She never had much but she made do with what she had. 

Now here she is – alone and in her final days.  She doesn’t have time to change anything even if she wanted to.  Everything she can create has been created. 

Her legacy lives on in her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

How is your legacy coming along?

Do you ever factor your legacy into your plans as you come up with your list of New Year’s resolutions and promises to yourself and others?

If you don’t, the odds of you achieving your resolutions have been proven to be staggeringly not in your favor.

So as you go through the typical year-end gyrations for what the New Year brings, ask yourself these questions:

  1. How can I live a life with purpose?  Better yet, do I know what my purpose is?
  2. Who can I love more and in an unconditional manner?  How can I welcome more love?
  3. What can I learn in 2010 that will make me a better person?  Once I have learned it, who can I share it with?
  4. What legacy am I leaving behind?  How will I be remembered?  Am I happy with this?

Our end-0f-days draws closer for each of us with each passing day. 

As you establish your resolutions, dreams and aspirations for 2010, keep the big picture of your life and your legacy in mind.

Your life, your gifts and your talents are too valuable to settle for anything less. 

I raise a toast to your legacy.  May it be everything you wish it to be and more.

I wish you all a blessed 2010 filled with abundance of life, love, learning and sharing.

In service and servanthood.

Harry

To read my detailed version of “Goals for the New Year?  How About Your Legacy?”, please click here.


1 comment:

  1. Harry I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Glad being so close to her passing helps you to get the important into more focus...Wishing you all the best in 2010...

    ReplyDelete