Monday, August 17, 2009

Consistent Messages – The True Source of Inconsistency.

I noticed a sign on a cemetery gate as I drove by it the other day.  In large letters it read “VISITORS ONLY”.

As I read it, I thought “well, there are only two types of people of interest here”:

  • The people who stop by to pay their respects are just visiting and have no intent of moving there permanently … at least for now.
  • The people who are buried there have no intention of leaving.

So who does the sign apply to?

I laughed and drove on.

We laugh at the inconsistency or humor of signs that we read that weren’t intended to be funny.

But perhaps if we look inward, we might stop laughing.

Do the signs that we project make sense?

Do we say one thing to someone but inwardly say something else to ourselves?

When it comes to inconsistencies, it is easy to find examples of them in others.

I wonder though if the greatest inconsistencies that we see are in fact mirrors of inconsistencies within ourselves.

It is easy to observe, laugh and muse at the inconsistency of many things and people in this world.

But before we do this, let’s make sure we are consistent with ourselves and the message we promote to ourselves and others.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some inconsistencies to iron out.

Yours in service and servanthood.

Harry

For the longer version of “Consistent Messages – The True Source of Inconsistency”, please click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment